CHILD SEX ABUSE & TRAFFICKING
CSA & TRAFFICKING
CHILD USA is working to end child sex abuse and sex trafficking by tackling the following areas:
- Statute of Limitations Reform for child sex abuse
- Ending child marriage
- Ending abuse and neglect of athletes
To learn more about each of these visit their pages below.
What is Child Sex Abuse (CSA)?
- Exhibitionism, or exposing oneself to a minor
- Masturbation in the presence of a minor or forcing the minor to masturbate
- Obscene phone calls, text messages, or digital interaction
- Producing, owning, or sharing pornographic images or movies of children
- Sex of any kind with a minor, including vaginal, oral, or anal
- Sex trafficking
- Any other sexual conduct that is harmful to a child’s mental, emotional, or physical welfare” (https://www.rainn.org/articles/child-sexual-abuse)
What is Child Sex Trafficking?
When a defendant “benefits, financially or by receiving anything of value, from participation in a venture which has engaged in” one of the sex trafficking crimes, they are liable for sex trafficking. 18 U.S.C. § 1591 (a)(2).Severe sex trafficking is “[s]ex trafficking in which a commercial sex act is INDUCED BY FORCE, FRAUD, OR COERCION, or in which the person induced to perform such an act has not attained 18 years of age.” 22 U.S.C. § 7102(11)(a) (emphasis added).
Elements of Severe Sex Trafficking:
- Means: force, fraud, or coercion
- Act: Inducement, recruitment, harboring, transportation, providing, obtaining
- Purpose: Commercial Sex
Statutes of Limitation (“SOL”) reform is the KEY to attaining justice for survivors
The extension of SOLs for child sex abuse offers victims a renewed opportunity to seek justice for the horrendous crimes committed against them. In addition to offering victims access to legal justice, SOL reform shifts the cost of child sex abuse away from the victim (where it ultimately falls on the medical field, government, and public) and onto the perpetrator who is responsible for the crime and suffering.
There is a national trend toward extension and elimination of statutes of limitation for child sex abuse and trafficking.
CHILD USA publishes a yearly report that tracks the criminal and civil statutes of limitation at both the federal and state levels and provides regular updates to the public as important reforms take shape across the country. Join our fight to end child sex abuse and trafficking across America!
IOC has ‘abhorrent indifference’ towards sexual violence & female stars, claims athlete group
The Boy Scouts Are Abusing the Bankruptcy System
Adam J. Levitin | November 16, 2021